Graphical key bindings !
A functional AI !
That's some kind of a jump in version numbers here, justified by the almost-playable state
of the game right now.
Here is the changelog :
- Threaded Music handling
- Fighting music
- Threaded Playlist handling (+ graphics notifiers)
- Menu playlist with epopsan's song (thanks to him)
- More fighting sounds
- Support for looping sounds : repeating step sounds
- New configurations items for sound & music volumes.
- Coherent GUI Art guidelines in options / menu screens...
- Structured GUI : Sound / image on focus
- Support for crouched characters / kick animations.
- Support for hit animations.
- Hikou : default kick, moving default & punch & kick, crouched default & punch & kick, default hit, crouched hit.
- New Takino : default.
- Notification on fight-ends : winner, choice to replay or exit to main menu
- Debug mode : red squares on hits
- Prettier screens
utf8 characters management ?
Snapshot of revision 87 :)
New animation handling
That's the first task I worked on after 0.1 was released. Back then, animations used to have a fixed origin point
(bottom left of each frame), which made lots of characters' positions impossible.
(Eg. : If a character puts an arm left, his arm will become his left origin and his body will move right as a consequence).
Now, each frame both have a content box, containing all the pixels data to be shown on screen, and a body box, only containing the body of the character, thus, the animation is fixed bottom left of the body box, and the overall image isn't fixed anymore (if a character puts an arm left, the arm will go left and the body won't move, as expected).
New attacks handling
Along with the new animations format, I also added more flexibility to attacks handling,
one can now specify precise hit boxes for characters attacks, at a given time and of a given strenght
(hit strength is multiplied by character's strength). Thus, a single attack can damage multiple times,
at two different points, ...
Configuration for attacks & animations is done in data/gfx/characters/[name]/data.xml.
The physics engine was completely redesigned due to a conception issue :
it was manipulating graphics coordinates, which allows any kind of evil (!) collision.
The system is now reversed: physics objects have independant coords that only them can modify, graphics just match them.
As a consequence, physics should be perfectly reliable now (at least I wasn't able to cause any unwanted collision).
Also, physics object can now change their width & height safely (try to jump on takino ;)).
That's it for physics. Oh ! And you can enable the "debug" mode in the options screen to see boxes yourself :).
p.s: Characters' physics boxes are characters' body boxes. (see "New animation handling").
New GUI / option screen
I improved the GUI system and added new widgets. These new widgets are used in a new "options" screen, where you can edit the configuration in game (currently, only resolution and debug mode can be configured that way). There is still work to do although (Help is welcome ! ;)) : Better widgets graphics, spinner, in game players keys cfg...
Graphics ! - Title screen background / New hikou
This snapshot features a new Hikou (pretty Hikou :3), you can see him in the banner above (pretty banner ;)).
You can find mypaint and synfing animation files on the download repository (link to come). Also, a title screen has been added ! It's a nod to a well-know anime, the first one who writes its name in the forums wins a free beer ;).
I'll now try to draw walking, kicking, walk-kick and walk-punch animations for Hikou, and redraw Takino as well. Anyway, graphics really are a sensible part of Hikou no mizu (It's the kind of project which needs lots of graphics), so, if you like anime drawing, I'll really appreciate any (even small) help :).
Last but not least
All the core modules are implemented and cleaned up in 0.1, the first versioned release.
0.1 announces the ~end of the development for the base of the game, allowing to start adding new
features & real gameplay to it :)
Some new features were added anyway !
- Hnm now uses sdl, opengl, openal instead of sfml. (freetype, libogg, libvorbis, libvorbisfile)
- Time-based movements, animations...
- New sprites-based format for arenas and animations, greatly shrinking the size of the game and some of the RAM usage.
- Arena's size, the camera is adapted to the size of the arena. (for large battles ;))
- Players KO, returns to main menu at end of fight.
- Improved Makefile, gcc default optimization set to -O2
- Source code cleanup.
- Clarified data/COPYING file.
This is the 6th release of Hikou no mizu.
- Configuration system (cfg saved in a file in "[your home directory]/.hikounomizu/", data format : "key value")
- Sound engine
- Arena system (configurable; "data/conf/arenas.xml", have fun ;-)) with custom gravity, ground level and players spawn position. You can even add textured platforms in it (which are subject to physics engine) to make beautiful trees or stairs ;-).
- Improved player system, it now supports Human and AI.
- Rewritten player class (improved sourcecode).
- New animation system (improved sourcecode), it shows every frames.
- Added a font manager.
- Resized default window size to 16:9 resolution 1024x576 (previous one was 1000x600)
- GraphicsEngine class removal (useless and binding).
- Fixed most of g++ warnings.
- Minor bug fix in the physics engine.
- Characters jump energy is now configurable outside (see "data/conf/characters.xml"). Have fun ;-)
- Improved Makefile (Variables)
- Minor directories reorganization : removed "fond.png".
This is the fifth release of Hikou no mizu :-).
It includes lots of new features compared to the fourth release (+1200 code lines), especially about the game structure :
- Screen system (Menu, Options, Fight, etc...)
- Menu, character selection, and fight screen
- Minimalist GUI (Buttons: text and image)
- Complex GUI elements (Menus: text (image in the next release))
- Directories reorganization (Tools/ removed)
- English translation (Sourcecode + directories translated from french to english)
In this revision, the ATI bug was fixed :-), Thanks Laurent :-)
This is the fourth release of Hikou no mizu, it includes lots of new features :
- A walking animation was added.
- The characters cannot leave the arena anymore.
- The characters can now jump (using the 'w' key).
- Reorganisation of engines directory.
- The characters lives can now reach the '0' value.
- Fighting interface improved.